A warm and gooey chocolate chip cookie with a crisp golden crust filled with soft, chewy mochi and topped with flakey salt
More things mochi! The mochi trend just never seems to be ending and the most visited recipes these days seem to always be mochi related. So… here is my take on a skillet cookie. Warm, gooey, chocolate cookie with a soft and chewy mochi centre. This recipe is so easy that you can make it all within 30 minutes, including bake time! The perfect treat to cure your dessert cravings, whether that be for cookies or mochi!
The best thing about skillet cookies is how easy they are. All you have to do is press the dough into the pan and pop it into the oven. The ultimate lazy dessert. You don’t need to chill the dough to firm up the dough, or chill the balls to make sure they don’t spread. You don’t even need to roll the dough into balls! And the result is the exact same, cookie deliciousness.
Now when it comes to bake time it’s all about preference. Some people like a super gooey skillet cookie, because technically your cookie can’t fall apart if it’s in a pan. But then some people prefer crispier cookies. The bake time i’ve put down will give you a cookie with a crispy exterior and soft interior, but you can reduce or increase the bake time as you like. It is your treat after all!
This is SO good and I can’t wait for you all to try it. It is best served warm with a little flakey salt and ice-cream. Just be careful not to eat it all in one go! If you make this recipe make sure to tag me @catherine.justdessertsau and hashtag #cattycakes so I can see and share all your creations. Happy cook(ie)ing! 🍪Print
Chocolate Chip Mochi Skillet Cookie
A warm and gooey chocolate chip cookie with a crisp golden crust filled with soft, chewy mochi and topped with flakey salt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 50 g Glutinous rice flour
- 7 g Cornstarch
- 10 g Sugar
- 105 g Milk
- 110 g Unsalted butter
- 80 g Brown sugar
- 50 g White sugar
- 1 Egg
- 180 g Plain flour
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- Pinch Salt
- 60 g Milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- 60 g Dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Flakey salt, for sprinkling
- Combine the glutinous rice flour, cornstarch and sugar in a medium sized microwave bowl
- Add in the milk, stir until well combined
- Wrap with cling wrap and microwave for [cooked-timer minutes=”2″]2 Minutes[/cooked-timer], stirring halfway in between
- Remove from microwave, knead with a wooden spoon until smooth, set aside
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F
- Using the skillet that you will bake your cookie in later melt the butter on low heat
- Continue heating the butter until it browns (brown specks will form in the butter and it will smell fragrant)
- Remove from heat and pour into a medium sized bowl, allow to cool to room temperature
- Add the sugars and egg, mix well
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt
- Finally fold in the chopped chocolate
- Take the slightly cooled mochi and wrap it in the cookie dough
- Press the giant cookie ball into the skillet (work quickly as the skillet will still be slightly warm and can melt the chocolate)
- Bake for [cooked-timer minutes=”20″]20 Minutes[/cooked-timer]*
- Sprinkle with flakey salt and serve (delicious with some ice-cream!)
*adjust the bake time to more or less depending on how gooey you like your cookie!