A decadent, gooey, single-serve chocolate hazelnut Nutella mug cake made with an easy 4 ingredients in the microwave!
If you are looking for a sweet fix in just a couple of minutes this is the recipe for you! This cake takes 4 minutes in total and is made from only 4 ingredients. Does a cake get any easier than this?! Not only that, but it's NUTELLA! How can you go wrong with that sweet, chocolate hazelnut spread right...
Not only is this cake super quick and easy to make it only needs four ingredients! If you have self-raising flour you don't even need the baking powder. Simply use the same amount as you would plain flour.
- Nutella: This delicious chocolate hazelnut spread is perfect for making cake because it acts as the sugar and fat in the cake. This lets you bring the mug cake together with minimal ingredients. If you don't have nutella any other chocolate hazelnut spread should work just as well.
- Egg: The egg acts as a binding agent for the cake, bringing it all together and adding a little lightness.
- Flour: Flour is the gives the cake structure and body- essentially making it a cake!
- Baking powder: Baking powder is needed to give the cake rise, giving it that fluffy texture
Different topping ideas
This recipe makes that warm, and slightly gooey nutella cake base, but there are so many different ways you can dress this up! Here are a couple of my favourite suggestions.
- More nutella: An extra drizzle over the top of the cake adds to that gooeyness and creates an even more indulgent dessert
- Chocolate chips: Mix chocolate chips into the batter for a double chocolate mug cake
- Fresh fruit: Break up the sweetness of the cake with some freshness. Berries like strawberries, raspberries and cherries are the perfect match for anything chocolate
- Whipped cream: Whipped cream is a MUST! The light creaminess breaks up the sweetness, adds moisture and creates an all rounded dessert.
- Ice-cream: The ultimate combination. Warm, gooey chocolate cake and smooth and creamy ice-cream. The contrast in temperature and texture is what makes this the best collaboration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different chocolate spread?
Yes definitely! There are so many Nutella alternatives out there these days, most of them are made from a similar composition of ingredients and will work perfectly in the place of Nutella.
My mug cake was dry
The cake may be dry if you left it in the microwave for too long or have let them sit for too long. These cakes are made to be eaten straight away, as the longer they sit the more they will dry out. These are so easy to put together so make them just before you're ready to eat!
Is the cake safe to eat with a molten centre?
Yes! At 2 minutes the bottom of the cake will be slightly molten, creating a delicious contrast in textures.
If you want the cake to be more gooey microwave it for 1 minute and 30 seconds. At this stage, the batter has been heated enough to be safe for consumption, so there won't be any problems eating it a little gooier!
Let's Get Baking
This is probably the easiest recipe I have up on the blog, so you don't have any excuses for being too lazy to make this one!
If you make these make sure leave a comment and rating down below, I would love to know how it went. Also tag me on instagram @catherine.justdessertsau and hashtag #cattycakes so I can see and share your creations.Print
4 Ingredient Nutella Mug Cake
A single-serve decadent chocolate hazelnut mug cake made with an easy 4 ingredients in the microwave!
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 4 minutes
- Yield: 1 mug cake 1x
- Category: Cake
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- ⅓ cup Nutella, or any chocolate hazelnut spread (95g)
- 1 Large egg
- 2 tbsp Plain flour (15g)
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- In a large microwaveable mug combine the Nutella and egg
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix until just combined
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes
- Remove from the microwave and cool for 2 minutes
- Top with your desired toppings and enjoy!
Keywords: nutella, chocolate, hazelnut, mug cake, 4 ingredients, easy, microwave