DONUTS!! Donuts are one of my favourite things in the entire world (following ice-cream…) and I wanted to have an easy baked donut recipe available! These are super soft cake donuts with a lemony hit and a sweet crackly glaze that are so easy to make.
Now before you make these let’s discuss the types of donuts (or doughnuts if you prefer). There are two distinct types of donuts, one being yeast raised and the other being cake. Yeast raised donuts tend to be a lot lighter and fluffier, examples of this are the classic Krispy Kreme donuts. Personally these are what I think of when someone says donuts, but they are a lot harder to recreate at home because it is essentially making a bread dough. These also need to be proofed over a few hours and then deep fried (which is just super inconvenient).
Then we have cake donuts, which like its name is a cake- donut. Usually these are deep fried, but with the help of a machine which will drop blobs of batter in hot oil. Obviously we don’t have a doughnut making machine at home, but we can get a donut pan!
I actually didn’t have a donut pan until a few weeks ago, but I found a silicone one at Daiso for $2.80. Yep. They can be that inexpensive, and then you can create these donuts from your house, whenever you want! If you don’t have a donut pan, you can bake these in a muffin tin and cut out a hole from the centre once they are baked (donuts and donut holes! :D)
Don’t go into this recipe expecting a Krispy Kreme donut, but instead an incredibly moist and fluffy cake donut and you definitely won’t be disappointed. (I know nothing beats a good fluffy yeast glazed donut, but these aren’t far off!) If you do make these make sure to tag me on instagram @catherine.justdesserts au and hashtag #cattycakes. I can’t wait to see your recreations! Happy caking!Print
Zesty Baked Lemon Cake Donuts
Fluffy, moist cake donuts infused with zesty lemon flavour and topped with a sweet crackly glaze. These are the ultimate baked cake donut, you won't even be able to tell they're baked!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 70 g Plain flour (½ cup)
- 75 g Sugar (⅓ cup)
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 75 g Vegetable oil (⅓ cup)
- 60 g Milk (¼ cup)
- ½ tsp Vinegar
- 1 Large egg
- 125 g Powdered sugar (1 cup)
- 1 ½ tbsp Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 175°C
- Add the vinegar to the milk and let it sit for 5 minutes
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, sugar, salt and lemon zest together
- Add the egg and oil to the milk, whisk until combined
- Add the milk mixture to the flour, using a wooden spoon mix until just combined
- Transfer to a piping bag and pipe into the donut mould (¾ full)
- Bake for 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Cool completely
- Sift the icing sugar into a medium sized bowl
- Add the lemon juice and stir until smooth
- If too thick add a little more lemon juice to thin it out
- Transfer the glaze to a smaller bowl which fits your baked donuts
- Dip the smooth side of the donut into the glaze, remove, and place on a wire rack so excess glaze can drip off
(If you want to add sprinkles or toppings add them now!)
- Allow the glaze to dry for 30-60 minutes, then enjoy!