Moist banana bread mug cake made in the microwave, perfect when you are looking for a quick and easy banana bread fix!
Have you ever been in a situation where you want banana bread, but you can't be bothered to make and bake it? Well, I've got the solution to fix all your cravings.
Three minutes and you'll have an equally as delicious warm banana bread! No oven and minimal cooking time for this sweet banana treat.
This mug cake doesn't need many ingredients, and as long as you have bananas you should have everything you need in your pantry.
- Banana: The riper the banana the better. A ripe banana is broken down easier with a fork and has a sweeter and more pronounced banana flavor. Make sure you use a medium-sized banana as differences in the banana size can change the texture of your cake
- Baking powder: Baking powder is essential as it gives the cake rise and prevents it from becoming dense.
- Plain flour: The flour gives the banana bread structure, so it bakes up to that cake-like texture
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar is needed to give the cake a sweet, slightly caramelized flavor, reminiscent of when banana bread is baked
- White sugar: White sugar gives the cake more sweetness, while also improving the texture and making it lighter
- Vegetable oil: Oil prevents the cake from drying out
- Vanilla extract: A little vanilla helps to enhance the flavor!
How to customize this cake
There are so many ways you can make this mug cake yours! Here are just a couple of my favorite ways.
- Mix in chocolate chips or peanut butter chips
- Mix in chopped roasted nuts
- Stir in a pinch of cinnamon
- Top with ice cream or whipped cream
- Top with a drizzle of peanut butter, Nutella, or chocolate
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does this last?
This cake is best eaten as soon as it is made! I wouldn't recommend storing it because it tastes best fresh, and it only takes 3 minutes to make.
Can I store this for later?
If you have leftovers I recommend refrigerating them and eating them within the next 2 days. You can heat them in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to bring them up to a warm temperature before eating.
Is this vegan?
Yes! Because the cake doesn't use any eggs or butter it is definitely vegan friendly.
Why did my cake deflate?
If you haven't microwaved your cake for long enough it will deflate. Make sure you microwave it for 2 minutes on high.
What kind of mug should I use?
Any kind of mug will work, but if you want it to come close to the rim I would recommend using a smaller mug.
If using a large mug you can double the recipe and microwave it for 3-4 mins, until set.
Most importantly make sure you use a microwave-safe mug!
Can I use butter instead of oil?
Of course! I like using oil in this recipe as it is easier, and doesn't require to be melted. If using butter melt a tablespoon in the mug before you add the other ingredients.
Butter gives the banana bread more flavor and fragrance!
Let's Get Baking
This single serving dessert is great for a quick pick-me-up or even breakfast. No matter the occasion you'll love this banana bread mug cake recipe!
If you make this recipe make sure to leave me a comment and rating down below, I would love to hear how it went.
Also don't forget to tag me on instagram @catherine.justdessertsau and hashtag #cattycakes so I can see and share your desserts!Print
Banana Bread Mug Cake Recipe
Moist banana bread-like cake made in the microwave, perfect when you are looking for a quick and easy banana bread fix!
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 1 Mug Cake 1x
- Category: Cake
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Medium banana, mashed
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- 2 tbsp Plain flour
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp White sugar
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- A splash of vanilla extract
- Mash the banana directly in the mug or in another bowl
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix until just combined
- Microwave for 2 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Cool for 5 minutes, then top with your desired toppings and enjoy!
Keywords: banana, mug cake, banana bread, easy, microwave